By Rev. Patrick Rogers
You may ask “What does this monthly article on spirituality have to do with spring cleaning?” The Christian season of Lent, which we just traveled, is a time of reflection and renewal. In other words, spring cleaning!
In our spiritual journey, we often should take time to stop and assess our relationship with our Higher Power. Spiritual spring cleaning may include:
- Can we see or are we blind to the need of love for ourselves, our neighbors, and our Higher Power?
- What do we need to overcome in order to see more clearly in our faith journey?
- Are our spiritual batteries in need of a boost?
- What do we need to dispose of or add to our lives in order to grow in our faith and blossom?
- Remember our mortality; it is from dust we come and to dust we will return.
After the 40 days of Lent, and this time of reflection and renewal, we celebrate Easter. It’s a time of celebration and joy. Due to the pandemic, a lot of change has occurred in our world in the last year. The time of Lent and Easter has left us with a lot of questions. How will we build together a “new normal” where love is at the center of all we do?
May our lives make a difference as we move forward. Let us praise our Higher Power and be grateful!
Rev. Patrick Rogers, MDiv. – Community Activist and Senior Pastor at
United Church of Christ Fort Lauderdale.