By Brian David Douglas
Are you a beauty product hoarder? Is your shower lined with half empty bottles of body wash, shampoos and various facial cleansers? Let’s talk about what’s in your drawers. Not those! Can you even close the drawers in your bathroom vanity?
So many people come into the spa for a facial and then proclaim that skin care products don’t work. They then rattle off their list of all the products they have at home. Here’s an inside secret for you: beauty products cannot change the condition of your skin from the inside of a jar in your medicine cabinet. The products only work if you actually use them.
Out with the old and in with the new!
My challenge for you is to do an inventory of your bathroom. I mean literally empty out all the cabinets and drawers. Most professional skin care products have a shelf life of 1-2 years. If it’s close to a year old just throw it out. Run a total in your mind of how much money you’ve wasted on all these inferior products. I bet you’ll be amazed!
Simplicity is key
Ever go in a restaurant and the menu has so much on it that it’s overwhelming? That’s how it goes with beauty products too. There are so many options out there and it’s easy to be overwhelmed. Try to scale down to a simple regimen that is easy to commit to.
Professionals know best
For those of you (unlike myself) lucky enough to have hair, have your stylist recommend a professional shampoo, conditioner and styling product and stick to those.
Lose that bacteria and mold infested loofa or week-old washcloth in your shower. Instead, just use a good-old fashioned bar of soap, preferably one that’s ph balanced and fragrance free.
Lastly, if you are ready to commit to a skin care regimen, here are my favorites for a spring clean for your skin. Visit David Douglas Spa for these great finds.
- Hydra Refine Cleansing Mousse. This soap free formula contains Marine Seaweed with astringent Lemongrass and fresh, cooling Cucumber.
- Hydra Refine Astringent Marine Seaweed, astringent Lemongrass and fresh Cucumber help to reduce appearance of oiliness.
- Fusion Matcha Lemongrass Scrub Exfoliates with Matcha Green Tea, Lemongrass & Seaweed.
- T-Zone Shine Control Serum. This lightweight, pore refining serum leaves skin fresh, clean and shine-free.
- T-Zone Moisture Complex with Green and White Teas to smooth and hydrate skin.
Brian David Douglas is the owner of David Douglas Spa. His Global Award winning spa was named “Top Spa for Men” by American Spa Magazine. Douglas is an International Educator for Repechage and was named the “Rising Star” in skin care.